Department of Information & Communication Systems Engineering
University of the Aegean
SCHOOL OF SCIENCES
(SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, pending)

Department of Information
& Communication Systems Engineering

Information & Communication Systems Security
Information Systems
Artificial Intelligence
Computer & Communication Systems
Geometry, Dynamical Systems & Cosmology
 

Map of Karlovasi



History of Karlovassi

The most recent history of Samos beginsin 1570, when the descendants of Samianfamilies and other Greek-speakingChristians from the Ottoman Empire cometo settle in Samos, which had remainedalmost deserted for about 100 years, dueto the unfavourable political-economicconditions that were prevalent in theregion of the Aegean Sea. There-settlement of Samos also safely marksthe beginning of the island’s mostrecent history. In the area ofKarlovassi, we find settlers from Chioswith Samian origin, Chiosamians, whosettled in Alonaki, a small hill at thetown’s centre, where ruins of formersettlements still remained. There-settlement also involved people fromthe Peloponnese, Ikaria and theCyclades, who nevertheless very sooncreated a social group with homogeneouscharacteristics. The area of Palaio(Old) Karlovassi must have been one ofthe districts that received the firstsettlers, if we consider the testimonyprovided by its name. However, it isalso possible that Palaio was aresidential area prior to the desertionof the island, and that the newersettlers –who had a good memory– calledthe region by this name in order todistinguish it from the areas that theywould settle afterwards. We should alsoaccept the testimony of EpameinondasStamatiadis, that the Karlovassi areawas densely-populated from early on, asthis can be ascertained from the ruinsof ancient buildings and graves that arepresent almost everywhere. This is alsosaid to be the site of the ancient town“Gorgyia” or “Gorgyra”, that was famousfor its temple in honour of Gorgyieas orGorgyreas Dionysus. Ruins of churchesand Byzantine coins that have been foundin temporary excavations shed light onthe fact that the area was alsoinhabited during the Byzantine era.

The first written reference to the townafter its desertion was in 1625 andlater on it is mentioned quitesystematically (Ottoman registers 1634and 1642, Iossif Georgeirinis 1678,Tournefort etc.). That was also theperiod when the current place name wasestablished. 

From the early years of itsre-settlement, Karlovassi gains adominant role in the historical eventsof the island. From the first moment,the inhabitants of the area becomeinvolved in agriculture, mainlyviticulture, while trade provides themwith financial prosperity, to the extentthat Iossif Georgeirinis clearly statesin 1678 that the citizens of Karlovassiwere the richest on the whole island.From that time onwards, Karlovassiclaims the title of commercial andfinancial centre of the island, whileChora and later Vathy constitute theadministrative centres, particularly dueto their proximity to the East.


The commercial identity of Karlovassi isalso depicted, as expected, in thementality of the local inhabitants.Currents of liberalism enter the narrowstreets of Karlovassi, while thecommercial ships, along with luxuryitems, also convey the principles ofmodernization and progress, startingwith the field of education.

In liberal Karlovassi, is established in1784 the School of Karlovassi, usingfunds bequeathed for this purpose by theenlightened bishop of Tyroloi, PorfyriosZampetis, who was born in Karlovassi.This pioneering school, that was laternamed “Porfyriada Scholi” in honour ofits founder, served the causes of theRevolution and educated its leaders,starting undoubtedly with LogothetisLykourgos of Karlovassi. The progressivemovement of the Karmanioli also foundfavourable circumstances and grew inKarlovassi, leading to anotherrevolution before that of 1821, which isa unique phenomenon in Greek history.

The official outbreak of the Samianrevolution on May’ s 8th 1821 took placein the Messaio Karlovassi Square. Itincluded the leader LogothetisLykourgos, the bishop of Samos Kyrillos,the poet Georgios Kleanthis, IoannisLekatis and all the people ofKarlovassi.

During the revolution, the population ofKarlovassi took on an active role. In1830, when the new Greek state isfounded in London, and Samos is notincluded within its boundaries, manylocals from Karlovassi follow Logothetisabroad as refugees, in order to escapefrom the hegemonic regime imposed on theisland by the Foreign Powers. Despitethe unfavourable political conditions,the people of Karlovassi continue todeal on a systematic basis withviticulture and trade. A substantialbarrier and major limitation for an evenfurther development of trade, is thelack of a natural port in the area,which forces the residents of Karlovassito moor their ships at makeshiftconstructions along the coast. When, atthe end of the 19th century,phylloxera deals a dreadful blow to theviticulture of Samos, the producers andmerchants of Karlovassi make a shift intheir professional activities towardsthe processing of leather. This shiftalso signifies a remarkable growth ofthe town in all sectors. Major publicworks are constructed that are alsofinanced by donations from the town’saristocracy, and Karlovassi acquires theaura of a capital city.

At the same time, several magnificentchurches and beautiful neoclassicalbuildings adorn the area. During thatperiod, Karlovassi experiences abuilding climax within a broader climateof development for that day and age. Itis the time that witnesses the buildingof the new Porfyriada Scholi,Chatzigianneio Parthenagogeio, theHegemonic palace and, the great bridgebetween Neo and Messaio; a public parkis also created at the site Pefkakia, aMunicipal Pharmacy is established, theSchool of Commerce begins to operate andthe town takes on a differentappearance, with the construction of thegrand churches of Panagia in Neo andMessaio and St Nikolaos. At the turn ofthe century, the foundation stone forthe port is also finally laid at thesite Schinos, and this fact acquires amajor political significance because itslocation was chosen by the all-powerfulpolitician Ioannis Chatzigiannis; hisenemies grasp this opportunity to launcha political attack against him. Ahorse-drawn streetcar is created in 1905for the distribution of goods, known tothe people of Karlovassi as the tram. The existence of a largeworkforce naturally leads to theconditions that foster the new idea oftrade unionism. The concepts on classstruggle are easily embraced in theco-capital with its numerous factoriesand workers.

Along with the tanneries, there is alsothe establishment of noteworthycigarette processing factories. Thegrowth of the industry is alsoaccompanied by a growth of the town,which means that the subsequent declinein the tannery business also negativelyaffected the developmental progress ofthe town.
The Union of Samos with Greece finds thepeople of Karlovassi once again at theforefront, while the Asia MinorCatastrophe results in Greek refugeesarriving at Karlovassi from theneighbouring region of Asia Minor. In1923, a refugee settlement is created inKarlovassi, in the Riva area, and therefugees are gradually integrated intothe local society.
The decade of the 30s, marks a turningpoint for the tannery industry ofKarlovassi, which comes to an end withthe events of 1940. After the Albanianwar, Karlovassi is occupied by theItalian forces. Many of its residentstake part in the armed resistancemovement against the Italians, and theblood-quenched armed civil war of Samos(1947-1949) also affects the area ofKarlovassi as expected.
After the war, the town of Karlovassi,like the whole of the island of Samos,follow the fate of the Greek provinces.
Tourism opens up new prospects for thetown, since the area is a prime objectfor development.
In 1986, the Department of Mathematicsof the University of the Aegean isestablished in Karlovassi, thuspromoting the town and marking theeconomic and cultural contribution ofthe town to the historical route of the

Transport


Τρόποι Μεταφοράς από και πρός τη Σάμο

Το νησί της Σάμου έχει καθημερινή επικοινωνία με το λιμάνι του Πειραιά αλλά και δρομολόγια της "Ολυμπιακής Αεροπλοΐας" και της "AEGEAN Airlines". Υπάρχουν δύο κύρια λιμάνια, στο Καρλόβασι και στο Βαθύ, την πρωτεύουσα της Σάμου. Το Βαθύ απέχει από το Καρλόβασι περίπου 35Κm, ενώ το αεροδρόμιο βρίσκεται στην νοτιοανατολική πλευρά του νησιού, στο Πυθαγόρειο. Το Πυθαγόρειο απέχει από το Βαθύ περίπου 17Κm, ενώ στο Καρλόβασι μπορεί να φτάσει κάποιος είτε κατευθείαν, είτε μέσω Βαθέως. Με αυτοκίνητο η απόσταση είναι περίπου μία ώρα και από τις δύο διαδρομές.

 

 

Ολυμπιακές Αερογραμμές | AEGEAN Airlines | Δρομολόγια Πλοίων

Aν θέλετε να πάρετε επιπλέον πληροφορίες, μπορείτε να επισκεφθείτε το δικτυακό Τόπο: www.gtpnet.gr

 

 

Δρομολόγια ΚΤΕΛ

Για την εξυπηρέτηση των φοιτητών, του προσωπικού του Πανεπιστημίου Αιγαίου, αλλά και ενδιαφερομένων δημοτών, διενεργούνται από το ΚΤΕΛ, με χρηματοδότηση από το Πανεπιστήμιο Αιγαίου, τα ακόλουθα δρομολόγια:

 

Δευτέρα - Παρασκευή

 

ΑΠΟ ΚΑΡΛΟΒΑΣΙ

ΑΠΟ ΛΙΜΑΝΙ

8:00

8:05

8:45

8:55

09:50

10:00

10:50

11:00

11:50

12:00

13:00

13:15

13:30

13:40

15:00

15:10

16:00

16:10

17:00

17:10

17:45

17:55

19:00

19:10

20:00

20:10

21:00

21:10

22:00

22:10

 

Σάββατο

ΑΠΟ ΚΑΡΛΟΒΑΣΙ

ΑΠΟ ΛΙΜΑΝΙ

08:45

08:55

11:45

11:55

13:45

13:55

15:05

15:30

19:45

20:15

20:45

21:15

Κυριακή

ΑΠΟ  ΚΑΡΛΟΒΑΣΙ

ΑΠΟ ΛΙΜΑΝΙ

13:00

13:45

14:45

15:15

19:45

20:15

20:45

21:15

 

α) Η διαδρομή από την πόλη του Καρλοβάσου περιλαμβάνει τις εξής στάσεις:

Αίθουσες Διδασκαλίας «Εμπορική Σχολή» - Πρατήριο Βενζίνης «ΕΚΟ» (κτίριο Λυμπέρη) – Στάδιο (Σχολικό Συγκρότημα) – Μεσαίο (Εκκλησία της Παναγίας) – «Κτίριο Προβατάρη» - Λιμάνι.

 

β) Η διαδρομή από το Λιμάνι περιλαμβάνει τις εξής στάσεις:

Λιμάνι – Ξενοδοχείο «
Samaina Bay» - Μεσαίο Καρλόβασι (Εκκλησία της Παναγίας) – Στάδιο (Σχολικό Συγκρότημα) – Βιβλιοθήκη της Σχολής – Γέφυρα Γεροντή -  Πρατήριο Βενζίνης «ΕΚΟ» (κτίριο Λυμπέρη) -  «Εμπορική Σχολή».

 

Από το Περιφερειακό Γραφείο Σπουδών και Φοιτητικής Μέριμνας

Home | Contact

University Of The Aegean

SCHOOL OF SCIENCES (SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, pending)
Department of Information & & Communications Systems Engineering

© Copyright ICSD :: 2008 - 2013