|Business Operations and Information Systems|
|Title: ||Business Operations and Information Systems|
|Lesson Code: ||321-2304|
|Theory Hours: ||4|
|Lab Hours: ||2|
|Faculty: ||Loukis Euripidis|
Introduction – Role and importance of information systems for organizations. Basic functions and organizational structure of a firm. Structure of enterprise information systems. Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems. Commercial functions: sales, procurement, inventory management - basic concepts, implementation processes. Functionality – capabilities of sales, procurement and inventory management modules. Financial statements - General Accounting: accounts, chart of account, credit – debits, entries for basic events and transactions. Functionality - capabilities of general accounting module. Costing - Analytical Accouting: cost categories, cost centers, cost allocations. Functionality - capabilities of costing and general accounting modules. Production function: work centers, production routing, production orders, production planning and monitoring, master production schedule (MPS), materials requirements planning (MRP). Functionality - capability of production modules. The laboratory of this course includes basic familiarization with the above modules of Microsoft Navision ERP system.
The main learning outcomes of this course are:
1. Understanding the main functions of a firm (general accounting, sales, procurement, inventory management, production, costing – analytical accounting): basic objectives, concepts, processes and algorithms.
2. Gaining basic knowledge on the electronic support of the above main functions of a firm through information systems.
3. Understanding the structure of an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, its main modules (general accounting, sales, procurement, inventory management, production, costing, analytical accounting), their files (master files and transaction files) and the main capabilities they offer.
4. Practical familiarization with these modules, and ability to implement typical operation scenarios with them.
5. Development of ability to understand complex enterprise information systems at a functional level, identify deficiencies and weaknesses and formulation of proposal for addressing them.
6. Development of ability to participate in enterprise information systems project teams and cooperate with current and future users of various modules, for the development of functional specifications, the selection of software packages, the implementation and monitoring of such projects, and the functional design of improvements and extensions.
The above knowledge and abilities are quite useful for students’ future career, since a significant part of their duties and activities will concern the understanding and electronic support of critical firm functions using modern information systems.
1. Loukis, E., Andritsakis, A., Diamantopoulou, V., ‘Integrated Enterprises Computer Support Using SAP’, NewTech Publications, 2009 (in Greek).
2. Ioannou, G., ‘Integrated Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP)’, Stamoulis Publications, 2006 (in Greek).
3. Loukis, E., ‘Business Operations and Information Systems – University Lectures’ (in Greek).
1. Laudon, K. C., Laudon, J. P., ‘Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm’, Prentice Hall 2012.
2. Bradford, M., ‘Modern ERP: select, implement & use today's advanced business systems’, 2010.
3. Monk, E. Wagner, B., ‘Concepts in Enterprise Resource Planning’, Cengage Learning, 2012.
4. Kontakos, A., ‘General Accounting’, Stamoulis Publications, 2009 (in Greek).
5. Heizer, J., Render, B., ‘Principles Of Operations Management’, Prentice Hall, 2010.
6. Microsoft Navision User Guides - Manuals.
|Learning Activities and Teaching Methods |
Lectures, solution of exercises, Laboratory based on Microsoft Navision ERP system (familiarization with basic modules implementation of typical operations’ scenarios with them).
|Assessment/Grading Methods |
||125 hours (5 ECTS)
|Language of Instruction|
|Greek, English (for Erasmus students)|
|Μode of delivery |